June 04, 2009

Joy and paradoxical commandments



BW posted an interesting item this morning :The Paradoxical Commandments by Kent Keith. I thought them rather appropriate bearing in mind the elections today and I thought I'd post them also.

People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered.
Love them anyway.

If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives.
Do good anyway.

If you are successful, you will win false friends and true enemies.
Succeed anyway.

The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow.
Do good anyway.

Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable.
Be honest and frank anyway.

The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds.
Think big anyway.

People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs.
Fight for a few underdogs anyway.

What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.

People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
Help people anyway.

Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.

With all the talk of expenses claimed by our worthy? MPs, perhaps they should read and follow this? If I hadn't already voted when I read it I'd have printed a few off to take to the polling station.
Do you think it would have done any good? No me neither.

So onto the other part of the title JOY
Such a small word but so much encompassed within those 3 letters.
How do you find Joy? What makes you joyous?

For me the little things can give me so much joy, appropriate really when the word is also little.

The smell of fresh cut grass, the smell of the roses next to the garden seat.
The sound of stripey bees gathering the pollen from my garden plants.
The taste of freshly ground and brewed coffee.
Finishing a femme and not wanting to let her go because she feels so right.
Watching the sun set over the sea, all the colours in the sky.
reading a good book.
A day with no painkillers.
Cats
colour
friends
knitting shawlsThis doesn't take count of the obvious such as people you love, places you like visiting
But I think you get the point:)

Joy is all around us if we care to see it.

No comments:

Poetry for Brigid Imbolc

  The Lake Isle of Innisfree BY  WILLIAM BUTLER YEATS I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree, And a small cabin build there, of clay a...