April 01, 2010

A tale for spring

A few months ago I tried a Lendrum wheel at my friends and loved it so I ordered one.

In the meantime I had a lovely traveller spinning wheel which I got on beautifully with.

Fast forward 4 months and the lendrum arrived. I was so pleased and started spinning straightaway.
I thought my long wait had been worth it.

Yes I had a few problems but put that down to it being scotch tension instead of double drive.
I persevered but wasn't getting on well at all.
I sold my traveller to a new spinner and she was happy.
After all it was silly to have 2 wheels.
Wasn't it?

I carried on spinning and some came out ok, yet others unravelled or weren't twisted enough.
I regretted letting Tilly go to her new home.
More spinning, yet again some ok some not.
2 days ago I was so so frustrated, nothing was going right. I felt like a beginner spinner and it wasn't nice.
I struggled to get yarn on the bobbin.
I walked away.
I had some fibre from a friend, Falkland tops from SCF. A beautiful fibre and it spun well.
I spun well:)
BUT;-
Lulu and I have a mixed relationship. I don't feel as comfortable with her as I did with Tilly, it is more of an effort to spin.
I'm hoping that will improve.
It got so bad the other day that Mr mog told me to sell Lulu and get another Tilly.
I'm hoping it won't come to that

The green fibre is the sea foam batts we carded a few weeks ago. It was not an easy yarn to spin on Lulu and even worse to ply. The fibre kept breaking and when I pulled back some of the spun yarn to restart that too pulled apart:(
Still it did eventually make yarn. I'm loving the colour of it and the picture with the box reminds me of a face.
Did you notice the double heads on the tulips?
It is a bank holiday weekend here in the UK and we have snow all over the mountains:)
Good Easter weather isn't it?

1 comment:

Blue Witch said...

Oh no... you must have caught it from me! Sorry ;)

I don't know about you, but if I know something doesn't feel right, it rarely ever turns out that way. Personally I'd go with Mr Mog and get another Traveller.

It also makes *me* feel that I should make an effort to try other wheels as they might suit me better.

Have a good weekend, amidst the snow...

Poetry for Brigid Imbolc

  The Lake Isle of Innisfree BY  WILLIAM BUTLER YEATS I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree, And a small cabin build there, of clay a...