March 04, 2010

Yuck and update on moving aunts

After babysitting our 2 grandsons after school Tuesday and Wednesday I think the older one has given me the dreaded stomach virus that is going around.
Poor lad vomited on the school bus coming home and wasn't well at all. Uniform put in wash at DDs soon as he came in. He was pretty quiet for an hour, said he didn't feel well then went to bed. He slept a while then had to vomit again in the bathroom poor thing.
Despite keeping as much away from him as I could this morning it would appear that the air borne virus found me:(
Not a happy bunny.

The saga continues concerning Mr Mog's aunt moving from somewhere down south to somewhere up north. Social services are, to say the least, being extremely backward in helping. Many phone calls have ensued going from heads of said social care, via chief execs of council and ever upwards. Currently awaiting calls from governmint officials.
To move into a care home an assesment is required. As we are talking great distances this won't be done by the care home as it usually is, hence our needing social services help. I was informed that they could not
a, appoint a social worker yet
and
b, they could not give me a date for said assesment.
They could not say if it would be within 3 months, 6 months or?
Why they can't help a 90+ year old lady move nearer to her only 3 relations I don't know but I'm not giving up.
She will be ensconced this way if I have owt to do with it.

5 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Good thing Auntie Mog has you to deal with the bureaucrats. You must be her Warrior Princess and cut through all that red tape with your Sword of Justice and Common Sense!

Sea said...

You have my sympathy. My daughter and myself have both had the vomitting bug, asthma etc have caused mine to drag on.
If we are supposed to have a caring welfare stae..they should make moving elderly relatives a lot easier!
Hope you feel well soon.

Roobeedoo said...

Could you move her to your house as a Step One? Or would that be too risky - i.e. you might end up looking after her yourself forever more. I remember my mum had a similar problem re my Grandpa. They moved him "nearer" but it was still half a day's drive away and we couldn't visit as often as she would have liked.

laoi gaul~williams said...

oh social services make me mad~i worked for them so i am allowed to be!

have you asked for a care manager in the elderly dept to do the assessment? in the s.s dept i worked for they had care managers to do a lot of the assements,general paperwork, finding places in care homes etc. they dont need a qualifed social worker to do it.
hope it all gets sorted soon.

and hope you feel much better even sooner!

Blue Witch said...

I don't understand this... unless someone is self-funding (ie assets over early £20Ks) care fees are paid for by authority of residence at any time - therefore move her north and your LA becomes responsible, surely? It can't have changed that much in 4 years, surely?

I know what a hassle it is. I know exactly what said authority is like. You have my sympathies.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Poetry for Brigid Imbolc

  The Lake Isle of Innisfree BY  WILLIAM BUTLER YEATS I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree, And a small cabin build there, of clay a...