October 04, 2009

Rotten somebody compromised my card:(

I checked my bank account yesterday as I do at least once a week. There was a payment to a supermarket home shopping that I hadn't made. £130+ at that:( I immediately rang the bank and they had several other amounts awaiting going out for £1 each. Also the home shopping one had apparently been a larger amount then reduced to a smaller one. They hadn't sent the £1 payments but had let the shop one go, obviously I suppose as it could have been genuine. They said the £1 payments were dry runs someone had done to see if they could get away with it.So my debit card is compromised as they say.
Now before you all ask, I don't give my pin out, only me knows it. I don't shop on insecure sites and if I use my debit card at shops I cover the machine while I insert the pin number.
The bank have stopped my card and will send a new one in a few days, the fraud department will investigate the unauthorised £130+. Hopefully the supermarket will tell them the address. It really shook me up, I felt violated does that sound daft? I think I'll get the cash back once they investigate. It could have been much worse I suppose. I felt quite ill last night after finding it, jittery, shaking and very sick.
I've been trying to work out where it happened and I think it may be Amazon. I paid for a book on Friday. Got an email from them saying bank had declined payment. Now I am not foolish I didn't click on any links but I did go to amazon and check my details. Wish I hadn't now as these events happened just a few hours afterwards. I know at least 2 other people who have had this happen and both times on amazon. In fact the bank asked one of them if they had been on Amazon, why would they do that if it wasn't a problem?
That is me now for purchasing there. I do sign out each time I go on the site but it is obviously not enough.
Next post some knitting.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Same thing has happened to me quite a few times...seems that the swines that do it are dialling sequencially on an computer and test any numbers that come up.
My card has been changed 3 times in one year and yet we have all the security measures in place.
These people have bought all sorts of crap on my cards...I even got an overdraft charge for something I didn't buy, as fraud had already stopped the payment going through, yet they still tried to charge me...they did refund it though!
I know just how you feel about this, it makes you feel rotten for ages...but we can't let these b------s stop us from living our lives the way we want to.
I do buy from amazon but I never click links from anyone ever...I hadn't paid for anything for months and yet they got me again.
I now don't let it bother me like it used to...it seems to be a problem of the modern age...who needs pick-pockets when they can nab your stuff on-line?!

laoi gaul~williams said...

oh my word-hope it all gets sorted soon. a bit worried now as i use amazon, but never had any links either to click on...

laoi gaul~williams said...

oh my word-hope it all gets sorted soon. a bit worried now as i use amazon, but never had any links either to click on...

Debra She Who Seeks said...

What rotten luck! Hope it gets cleared up soon and doesn't happen again!

Vicky said...

Yes it's happened to me and my son and it is upsetting. Seems like it's quite a common thing and I am very careful about how I use my cards. I did get refunded and hope you do too.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear that, there are some mean people around but thankfully there are more good people than bad.

Frances said...

sorry to read this Amber I hope it all gets settled soon, I understand what you mean about violated,
I bought something on ebay about a month ago and I received an e mail saying my bank had declined payment, I just 'felt' it wasn't right so put the e mail on hold, I since know payment was fine so I then marked the e mail as spam without opening, I'm wondering did you open the e mail to read it,

best thoughts Frances

Ruby Louise said...

Oh dear. I hope the bank sorts everything out soon. *hug*

mel said...

My credit card got *done* that way too...someone bought $740 worth of stuff at a sporting goods store in Rhode Island...:O

Funny...I mainly use it for Amazon...wonder if that's what happened...

Hope you get it all sorted soon..

~bb~

Sea said...

I have a friend this has happened to, and it was after his PC went away to be fixed, when it came back the trouble started. Am lucky...my pc gets fixed at my work place my the IT manager. I really hope it isn't through some dodgy amazon link...as I get stuff from amazon

aniexma said...

We had our Visa number stolen on Christmas Eve last year. Someone had charged one or two $1 amounts and then helped themselves to $1200.00 in Macy's gift cards. The bank covered the false charges and sent us a new card, but I felt violated none-the-less.

Macy's has sent me catalogues ever since.

Rosie said...

Grr, how miserable for you. Hope it is all sorted soon.

Blue Witch said...

Sorry to hear.

www.bookdepository.co.uk every time. Much cheaper than Amazon and much more reliable. Free shipping on everything too.

Oh - and - always use a credit not debit card online. Much more secure and much greater comebck if there's a problem.

dreamcatcher said...

Very sorry this has happened to you. Both my husband and I have had it happen several times now. As previous commenters have said I think it is essentially brute-force number crunching and there's not much anyone can do except stop the cards and refund them. We never use our debit cards online though, only CCs. Might be worth looking into the prepay/low limit CCs for online shopping.

Poetry for Brigid Imbolc

  The Lake Isle of Innisfree BY  WILLIAM BUTLER YEATS I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree, And a small cabin build there, of clay a...