August 23, 2008

I've dyed:) Coast railway jaunt







I've been busy:) Today was the day to have a go at dyeing on my own, no help from Anne:))
What do you think? All done with procion dyes. The blue green kid mohair was done in a jam pan, the others were cling film and steamer. The kid goat mohair and the rainbow sock yarn were yarns from Andy at Bluefaced leicester.com. I am not sure how easy the mohair will be to wind but we will see:) The green small skein was a lucky find. 50pence for a very large cone of what it says is cashwool. I thought I'd try dyeing to see how it went and it is fine. I think it is a 4ply/sock yarn. The earthy skein was a charity shop find this morning 100% pure wool, 8 skeins for £2. I've dyed one and it will be either hat of fingerless gloves I think, the rest is for bags of the felted variety. Very hard work though and my admiration for those dyers who do this for a living.
Yesterday's train journey was great, very tiring but we really enjoyed it.
Only down side, it is Solfest this weekend and there was a party got on part way going there. No probs with most of the party but one young lass was drunk and swigging back vodka like there was no tomorrow. This at 10am in the morning. She was very loud, foul language and generally obnoxious. Shame really as I don't think she would be fit to get off the train at Aspatria the way she was going. What a waste:( Rest of the day was fun. We went as far as Whitehaven on the train, then got a return to Ulverston. We had a late lunch there in the wonderful Hot Mango before continuing home . Arrival back 5.15pm from an 8.30am start:) The scenery was incredible, most of the journey was along the coast. We also went through Ravenglass where La'al Ratty the steam railway goes from. Passing through Carnforth, Grange over Sands, Ulverston, Cark in Cartmell,Dalton in Furness, Broughton in Furness, Millom, Seascale,Drigg, Sellafield(was Windscale). More smaller stations but you get the idea.
We are hoping to do the Settle to Carlisle route sometime soon, probably after the school holidays when it maybe isn't quite as busy.

1 comment:

maylin said...

Love the colours! Especially the rainbow - that must surely be Mr Mog socks?

I love reading of all your excursions and meals out. It makes me want to come and live there! I love it here in France but we are very isolated and although that is fine most of the time, it is also needful to have like minded company and surroundings.

Poetry for Brigid Imbolc

  The Lake Isle of Innisfree BY  WILLIAM BUTLER YEATS I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree, And a small cabin build there, of clay a...