October 27, 2006

Chimney fire at the moggie home

Great trauma today, we had a chimney fire. Fire had been on around an hour or so and we were busy preparing for visitors when the house filled with dreadful smells and smoke everywhere. Bits of stuff falling down the chimney on fire etc. Mr Mog checked outside and flames were coming out the top of the chimney. We rang fire brigade and they were already coming because someone had reported it. But get this, whoever it was did not bother coming to ask us did we know chimney was on fire. We were very very lucky, it had died down when fire brigade arrived , Mr Mog had actually filled a metal bucket with burning coals and dumped them outside, not mayb e a good idea from safety point of view but it worked. I was banished to next door as my chest did not appreciate smoke and allowed back in a couple of hours later. Annoying thing is that as we moved in in June we had chimney swept, guy charged more than he quoted and obviously did not do anything like a good job. We had a friend sweep it after fire was out and he still got buckets full of soot out. So now the mog is warm because the back boiler actually works on heating radiators. It has shook me up a great deal because part of me is thinking what if we had gone out or it was bed time??? Also the new smoke alarm the fire brigade installed in July? It didn't make a squeak.
Off to0 await the visitors:)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness you guys weren't hurt. You must be really shaken.
Take extra special care of yourselves,
India

Marianne said...

I am so very glad to know you and DH are alright, yikes, that *is* a scare. Have a good visit!

dreamcatcher said...

That must have been very scary, glad you are all OK!

Anonymous said...

Oh no :( I'm so glad to hear that you two are OK. That's scary stuff.

Gwen

Sara in WI said...

I am so sorry that you had to go through that! You were very lucky that no one was hurt. Good thoughts are coming your way from Wisconsin!

acrylik said...

I'm so glad to hear you are OK, but what an awful thing to happen, and fancy the neighbour not calling round to see if you were OK.

cheekiemary said...

Hmmm, I'm thinking the fire shawl could have something to do with this - you?